Sangeet Natak Akademi
Launches web campaign
Sanjhi–Mujh Mein Kalakar
Upload in portal: 12-31 Jan 2019
Sangeet Natak Akademi, the National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama, is the nodal agency of the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India to coordinate the matters related to Intangible Cultural Heritage and various UNESCO Conventions addressing Cultural Diversity and promotion and dissemination of multifarious cultural traditions and expressions of the country.
Implemented on the directives of the Ministry of Culture, Akademi is pleased to inform the launch of a Web Campaign:
SĀNJHI –MUJH MEIN KALĀKĀR
It is an initiative to document and promote the ICH and diverse cultural traditions of the country by direct public participation. This is a unique talent search where the participant will showcase their talent in the fields of music, dance, drama, puppetry, folk and tribal arts, culinary skills, painting, sculpture etc. The literal meaning of the term SĀNJHI is “to share” and “to partner”, and the cultural traditions of our country has developed and prospered on the notions of harmony.
The first phase of this campaign was earlier initiated in the month of November 2018 during the festival season of Diwali. There was mass participation and with great enthusiasm, people uploaded various audios and videos for music, dance, poetry recitation etc. and images for visual art forms like painting, craftwork, terracotta work, rangoli, written poetry, etc. More than 500 entries were received from various regions of the country. A Screening Committee, constituting of various Cultural Bodies and eminent artists availed the opportunity to witness the talent reservoir of the country and considered many as worthy for further promotion and commendation.
The second phase of this campaign, SĀNJHI –MUJH MEIN KALĀKĀR, has its main focus area, the folk, traditional, customary, socially events and ritualistic art forms, woven as a cultural fabric around the harvest festival season of January. It is celebrated all across the country, known as various nomenclatures like Makar Sankranti, Pongal, Lohri, Bhogali Bihu, Torgya, Uttarayan, Attukkal Pongal etc.
It intends to bring forth such forms that are aligned with the domains of intangible cultural heritage as per the Convention of Safeguarding the ICH under UNESCO:
• Oral traditions and expressions, including language as a vehicle of the intangible cultural heritage;
• Performing arts;
• Social practices, rituals and festive events;
• Knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe;
• Traditional craftsmanship
Be it the folk and ritualistic songs sung and dance performed during the harvest seasons, the traditional and indigenous craftsmanship, be it the making of the manjha (thread to fly the kite) out of crushed glass pieces, the intricate floor designs Kolam, Rangoli or Aipan; the traditional culinary art that enriches any festive event be it chakkara pongal, Til ke laddoo, Revri and Gajak and a gamut of community festive activities are art practices to be savored by all.
The process of participation is very simple. Following are the details:
1) The art form has to be captured in an audio, video or image form (preferably video for authentication) of not more than 2-3 minutes. We do not seek professional level video capture; a decent amateur video capture that has clarity of the participant as well as the art form will also work.
2) The participant then has to log into the official website of Sangeet Natak Akademi (www.sangeetnatak.gov.in) and click on the link to SĀNJHI –MUJH MEIN KALĀKĀR, where he will find a link to an online form.
3) The participant then enters his/her details, explain the art form and finally upload the video, audio or image capture.
4) The process has been made extremely simple and user-friendly for mass direct participation. Kindly note that the participant should fill in all the details sought in the form. There is no restriction on the number of the entries per participant. However, only one video/audio can be uploaded on one entry form.
5) The participant has to fill in the form for every video upload.
6) The portal for upload will be active during the period 12-31 January 2019.
7) In case of any difficulty, the helpline number is 011-23382706
This campaign is to provide an innovative scope to our country’s myriad diversity to converge on a shared platform and esteemed assistance in its promotion will strengthen its reach and connectivity.
Rita Swami Choudhary
Secretary, Sangeet Natak Akademi
Office of Secretary, Sangeet Natak Akademi
Rabindra Bhawan, 35, Ferozeshah Road, New Delhi 110 001
Phone No. 011-2338-1833, 2338-5715 (Fax)
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com