|October 29, 2017 NYC|
Dancers Sophia Salingaros and Jeeno Joseph presented SAMATVA, a repertoire which explored Bharatanatyam's ability to convey traditional Hindu mythology, Christian scriptures, and to both polarize and equalize masculinity and femininity. Live musical accompaniment by: Lekha Yesantharao, Abhinav Seetharaman, Swetha Narasimhan, and Lalitha Sindhuri.
At: Roone Arledge Auditorium, 2920 Broadway, New York, NY 2010, 5pm.
For more information, contact email@example.com
|October 29, 2017 Bangalore|
NRUTYA SAMBRAMA was organized by Abhivyakti dance center under the annual Nrithya Medha series. The presentations included Odissi dance recital by disciples of Manasi Raghunandan. And a Bharatanatyam solo recital "Pancha Devata Bhajanam" by Raghu Nandan S
At: Nayana Rangamandira, J.C.Road, Bangalore, 10am
|October 29, 2017 Chennai|
For the centenary celebrations of Ambujam Krishna, Bharathanjali presented SRI KRISHNA LEELA MADHURYAM, an opera composed by Ambujam Krishna.
At: The Music Academy, 6pm
|October 29, 2017 Chennai|
The Mylapore Trio (Amarnath, Surendranath, Aparna), Sugathan and members of Sri Sumukhi Rajasekharan Memorial Foundation conducted 141st KALA POSHAKAM monthly concert.
5.30pm: Bharatanatyam recital by Saranmohan. M, disciple of Girish Madhu
7pm: Bharatanatyam recital by Sadhana Balachandran, disciple of Priya Karthikeyan.
Venue: Narada Gana Sabha (Mini Hall), T.T.K. Road, Alwarpet, Chennai 18.
Info: 9382698811 / 9791127255 / www.srimylaporetrio.blogspot.in
|October 1, 21 & 29, 2017 Switzerland & Germany|
Schedule for D Keshava and Kalasri
- Oct 1, Basel, Switzerland: EINIGE TODSUENDEN intercultural contemporary dance presentation with live music by the group Dancers for the World with Sumitra Keshava
At: Elisabethenkirche, Basel, 7pm
- Oct 21, Switzerland: On the occasion of Diwali celebrations, Kalasri dance and music ensemble presented the dance theater HIMALAYA.
Choreography: D. Keshava, Anjali and Sumitra Keshava
At: Calvinhaus, Allschwil, 17.30 – 22 hrs
- Oct 29, Germany: Kalasri dance and music ensemble presented the dance theater HIMALAYA. Choreography: D. Keshava, Anjali and Sumitra Keshava
At: Ali Theater, Waldshut, Tiengen, 8pm
For more info: +41 613010231, firstname.lastname@example.org
|October 22, 26-29, 2017 Bangalore & Dharwad|
- Oct 22: Abhinava Dance Company presented UPAKRAMA, performance by promising students of ADC who aim to become soloists. Upakrama helps the dancer to understand the process of presenting one’s own art with live orchestra to an invited audience. This Upakrama featured a 45 min Bharatanatyam solo by Smruthi Shivaram & Kathak solo performances by Ranju Ramachandran, Rashi Chaurasia, Harshitha Venugopal, Bhavana Parashar & Apoorva Rao.
Venue: Abhinava Dance Space, Basavanagudi, 5pm
- October 26 to 29, Dharwad: TD Rajendra conducted a Kathak workshop organised by the Karnataka Sangeeta Nritya Academy in Dharwad.
Venue: Bendre Bhavan, Dharwad
For details contact: email@example.com +919902355722
|October 15, 17-19, 29, 2017 Hyderabad, Wayanad, Bangalore|
Schedule for Deepa Narayanan and Kuchipudi Parampara Foundation.
-Oct 15, 6pm: Solo Kuchipudi performance for Nritya Kunj 5th anniversary celebration, Shilparamam Hyderabad
-Oct 17-19: Kuchipudi workshop & performance, Wayanad, Spicmacay North Kerala Chapter
-Oct 29, 4pm: Natya Parampara Utsav 2017, 4th edition, National Gallery of Modern Art, Bangalore
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org /+919845315272
|October 6, 14 & 29, 2017 Bangalore, Chennai & Chickballapur|
Schedule for Kavya Kasinathan, disciple of Mithun Shyam, Vaishnavi Natyashala, Bangalore.
- Oct 6: Kanyaka Parameshwari Temple, 8th Cross, Malleswaram, Bangalore -7.30 to 8.30pm
- Oct 14: Narada Gana Sabha (Mini Hall), Chennai (For Kartik Fine Arts) - 7.30 to 8.45 pm
- Oct 29: Sri Sai Dwarakamayee Virudhastrama, Sultanpet, Chickbappapur - 6 to 7pm
Info: email@example.com / 9341248059
|October 28, 2017 Birmingham|
FROM MAN TO MONK - Part 1 Man: Bharatanatyam dancer Mavin Khoo invited UK-based Spanish choreographer Carlos Pons Guerra and dance artist Victor Callens to collaborate on a duet developed through a ‘lived process method’ between the artists.The sharing explores their relationship through notions of love, desire, memory, rejection, lust, violence and beauty and provided an opportunity to see where the artists have arrived at the end of a 2 week research and development period. Work in progress. Included a post-show discussion.
At: Midlands Arts Centre, (Foyle Studio), Cannon Hill Park, B12 9QH, 5pm
|October 28, 2017 Bangalore|
Rhythmotion performed Bharatanatyam, Kathak and Contemporary dance for the Golden Jubilee celebration of the Sheila Kothavala Institute for the Deaf (SKID), at 5:30pm. Chitra Arvind presented ‘Folk Dances of India’ choreographed for the hearing and speech impaired students of SKID at 5pm.
At: HAL auditorium, Vimanapura, Bengaluru
|October 28, 2017 Bangalore|
Kala Sampada, kendra for fine arts, presented RASANUBHAVA featuring Bhakti - Spanish poetry, BN by Monica de la Fuente, When Mirrors are Windows-reading, recitation & contemporary dance by Guillermo Rodriguez & Monica de la Fuente, Kathak by Somashekar and Shweta Venkatesh.
At: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Race Course Road, Bengaluru, 6:15pm.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 99018 30830
|October 28, 2017 Bhubaneswar|
Geeta Chandran performed as part of Spic Macay’s YAMINI 2017 all night concert. Violin, sitar, Hindustani vocal and dhrupad concerts were also performed as part of the fest.
Institute of Physics, 7pm.
|October 5 - 28, 2017 Delhi, Kanpur, Chile|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran & Natya Vriksha
-5th Oct: Sneha Chakradhar and Radhika Kathal, disciples of Geeta Chandran, presented a duet at the request of ICCR for a gala hosted by the Border Security Force for a delegation from Bangladesh at the BSF officer’s mess, Nizammudin, New Delhi.
- 5th & 6th Oct: Geeta Chandran conducted workshop for students and teachers at the JB Academy, Faizabad.
- 9th Oct: Geeta Chandran presented an illustrated performance at the Jawaharlal Nehru University as part of Spic Macay’s VIRAASAT SERIES.
Venue: Convention Centre, JNU, 5:30pm.
-10th Oct: Performance by Natya Vriksha Dance Company at India's First Mental Health Festival organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in association with Department of Psychiatry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences at JLN Auditorium, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 12th Oct: Natya Vriksha Dance Company performed SANKRITI, a choreography conceptualized by Madhavi Mudgal for the President of India at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- 17th – 25th Oct: Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha Dance Company performed in Chile, as part of 70 years of Indian independence celebration organized by the Festival of India Cell, Ministry of Culture in collaboration with the Embassy of India in Chile.
- 26th Oct: Radhika Kathal inaugurated ANTARAGNI, the annual festival of IIT Kanpur with a classical dance performance.
- 27th Oct: Sneha Chakradhar performed solo Bharatanatyam at the cultural evening of the History department’s annual conference at the Janki Devi Memorial College.
- 28th Oct: Sneha Chakradhar presented choreographies in Bharatanatyam to her father Prof. Ashok Chakradhar’s poetry at Jash-e-Adam, IGNCA, New Delhi.
|October 27, 2017 Madison, WI|
inDANCE was invited to present a special dance performance at the 46th Annual Conference on South Asia at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. Bharatanatyam by Hari Krishnan, Davesh Soneji on nattuvangam and musicians presented an evening of rare courtesan-inspired repertoire to an audience of respected scholars and academics.
At: Wisconsin Ballroom, Madison Concourse Hotel, 1 W Dayton St, Madison, 9pm
|October 27, 2017 Mumbai|
‘Iti’ in Sanskrit refers to an expression where something that has been said or thought with absolute conviction. In the brahmana-s, it is considered equivalent to ‘as you know’, reminding the hearer or reader of certain customs, traditions, etc. supposed to be known.
Parwati Dutta along with her group of Kathak shishyas from Mahagami Gurukul, Aurangabad, presented ITI , an evening showcasing the ancient and medieval period Kathak blending with today’s aesthetics and movement-dynamics at Nakshatra Dance Festival of NCPA. Researched compositions based on Dhrupad-s, Prabandha-s, Pada-s and symbolism of utterances (varna-s) to explore the gravity and grandeur of Kathak idiom, an attempt to revisit and relive the lost elements of Kathak traditions with respect to music, rhythm, melodic content, movement and attunement of the body, mind and soul reminding the artists of the eternal spirit of Kathak.
Concept, Research & Choreography: Parwati Dutta
At: Experimental Theatre, NCPA, Mumbai, 7pm
|October 24, 2017 NYC|
Parijat Desai performed O.O.F. (opposite of fear) in the CROSSING BOUNDARIES dance series. Crossing Boundaries is a low-tech showcase of new works-in-development. O.O.F. is an evolving movement practice in which Parijat attempts to cultivate an alternative emotional state to the anxiety of the current political moment and to her individual fear. She asks, what rituals can I create to invoke new energies? O.O.F. was first performed live with Minneapolis-based avant garde composer Manjunan Gnanaratnam.
At: Dixon Place, 161 Chrystie St, New York, New York 10002, 7:30pm
|October 23 & 24, 2017 New Delhi|
The Raza Foundation presented AARAMBH, a new series of classical music and dance of the younger generation. The second series witnessed the performances of Hindustani vocalist Meenal Natu & Kathak dancer Vishavdeep.
- 23 Oct, 6:15pm: Auditorium, Civil Services Officers' Institute, Vinay Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
- 24 Oct, 6:15pm: Triveni Kala Sangam, 205 Tansen Marg, New Delhi 110001
|October 17 - 24, 2017 Korea|
Astad Deboo collaborated with the Korean music ensemble Noreum Machi along with three Carnatic musicians - Manjunath B.C., Praveen Rao and Varijashree Venugopal. They are working on the project of the artistic director Juhong Kim and the work is titled SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT. It is the 5th project of Juhong, who works with diferent artists around the world. The premier took place on the17th of Oct at Seoul Namsan Gukadong.
20th Oct: at the National Theatre of Seoul
21st Oct: at KBS Hall for the festival of India in Seoul.
24th Oct: Astad Deboo did a solo, a site specific work at the Stone Park on the island of Jeju.
|October 23, 2017 NYC|
Preeti Vasudevan & Thresh Dance in their first US Gala. Meet the incomparable honoree, Jacques d'Amboise and enjoy an evening with performances by Preeti Vasudevan's Thresh, including special guest Amar Ramasar (Principal dancer NYCB), and music sensation - Roopa in Flux!
DAG Modern at The Fuller Building, 6:30pm - 10pm
|October 20 - 23, 2017 Glasgow, Birmingham, UK|
Aditi Mangaldas Dance Company - The Drishtikon Dance Foundation performed INTERRUPTED. With a cast of 8 dancers and 4 musicians, Inter_rupted is a high octane work based on disintegration, fragility, vulnerability, age and transience. It also follows the trajectory of modern Kathak, for which Aditi Mangaldas is becoming best known.
- Oct 20 & 21: Tramway, Glasgow, 7.30pm (0845 330 3501)
- Oct 23: Birmingham Hippodrome, 7.30pm (0844 338 5000)
|October 22, 2017 Palo Alto, California|
Guru Shradha & Mosaic Silicon Valley presented SPARK!: A celebration of artistic cultural exchanges across our communities featuring:
Antara Asthaayi Dance - Kathak, Carolé Acuña - Flamenco, Ensamble Folclórico Colibrí - Mexican Folklorico, Guru Shradha - Odissi, Kathakars School of Dance - Kathak, Madhuri Kishore Kuchipudi Dance School - Kuchipudi, Natyalaya - Kuchipudi, Navia Natarajan Academy - Bharatanatyam, New Ground Dance Theater Company - Lyrical, Xpressions - Indian Folk Dance, Yangqin Zhao from Melody of China - Chinese Hammer Dulcimer
At: Cubberley Theater, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303, 4pm
https://www.facebook.com/events/112358162771861/ / http://tinyurl.com/svspark
|October 21 & 22, 2017 Sakhigopal, Odisha|
Satyabadi presented it annual music and dance festival. Flute maestro Mohini Mohan Pattanaik and troupe, Sarat Chandra Das, Guru Pankaj Charan Das Foaundation, Bhubaneswar, Guru Niranjan Raut and his Nupur organisation as well as students of Satyabadi Sangeet Mahavidyalaya performed in the festival.
At: Vakulabana open air auditorium, Sakhigopal
Info: 9040548350 / email@example.com
|October 21 & 22, 2017 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
Sutra celebrated Deepavali with transgender performance featuring Maalika Panicker (BN), Krishnakumar Irinjalakuda (male Mohiniattam exponent) and Haleem Khan (Kuchipudi stree vesham)
At: Sutra House, 12 Persiaran Titiwangsa 3, 8pm
Info: 603 4021 1092 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|October 21, 2017 St. Paul, MN |
Kala Vandanam presented RITU - THE SEASONS
Venue: The O'Shaughnessy at St. Catherine University, 7:30pm
|October 21, 2017 London|
Akademi presented VIPLAV, Bharatanatyam and Mohiniattam, in the specially curated evening featuring Geetha Sridhar and Shalini Shivashankar.
At: Rich Mix, London, 7.30pm
|October 21, 2017 Bangalore|
Meghna Venkat and Nritya Nadam presented AIKYAM featuring 3 special performances. In Shiva Tantra, group of dancers from Bengaluru described the elements of Lord Shiva (Aparna Sastry – Ganga, Gowri Sagar – Snake, Yogesh Kumar – Fire, Somashekar – Damaru, Sahana Maiya – Trishul, and finally together portrayed Nadanta) in Kathak, Odissi and Bharatanatayam. Anuradha Vikranth and her Drishti ensemble presented Aikyam - A journey of a spritual mind. ‘Purush - A Puroshottama or a Prathibha?’ by Parshwanath Upadhaye and team, delved into the current status of man.
At: ADA Rangamandira, 5.30pm
Info: email@example.com / 97408 36907
|October 20, 2017 Coimbatore|
Gurus Kiran Subramanyam and Sandhya Kiran were conferred with the NRITYA RATNA AWARD by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore, for their contributions to the field of Bharatanatyam, on Friday, October 20, 2017 at 6.30pm at the Bhavan Premises, R S Puram, Coimbatore followed by a thematic presentation on MURUGAN KSHETRAMS by the Rasika Dance Ensemble.
Choreography & Direction: Sri Kiran Subramanyam
|October 20, 2017 Bangalore|
Nrithya Deepostava (celebration of light through dance) by the students of Shekar Rajendran, Shekar Dance Academy, and N Sajini (Narthana Priya School of Arts) on the occasion of Diwali.
At: Seva Sadan, 14th Cross Malleshwaram, 6pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 9844115778
|October 16, 2017 NYC|
Sonali Skandan is one of the headliners of WISE FRUIT. Wise Fruit, curated by Brinda Guha, is an artistic showcase dedicated to the feminine divine. All proceeds go directly to Planned Parenthood Action Fund of NYC.
At: Hudson Terrace, 621 W 46th Street from 7:30pm-11pm
|October 15, 2017 Palo Alto, CA|
Yuva Bharati presented SABDA MANJARI - A collection of Kuchipudi Sabdams.
The concert revived rare sabdams in Kuchipudi, performed by young and talented Kuchipudi dancers from Bay Area for music specially composed by D S V Sastry. Inspired by the book Kuchipudi Sabdams by Rajyalakshmi Seth. Group choreography by Revathi Komanduri and Jyothi Lakkaraju.
At: Cubberly Theatre, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303, 4pm
|October 15, 2017 Mysore|
ARTICULATE FESTIVAL, coordinated by Mysore B Nagaraj, is conducted on 3rd Sunday of every month. The 17th edition featured Pavithra Kannan in solo BN, Samudyatha and Samanvitha in a duet (BN), Laxminarayan Jena (Kathak) and Shrruthi M (Mohiniattam).
At: Premier Convention Hall, Premier Studios, Jayalakshmipuram, Mysore 570012, 6pm .
Info: 93412 88391 / email@example.com
|October 15, 2017 Chennai|
Kala Pradarshini celebrated 95th birthday of singer Ghantasala. His compositions and evergreen songs choreographed by Parvati Ravi Ghantasala were presented along with 95 disciples. 950 saplings were distributed during this occasion, as an effort to increase the green cover in Chennai. This initiative will continue every year and hopefully increase manifold.
At: Narada Gana Sabha, 5.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / +91- 98401 57090
|October 14 & 15, 2017 Aluva, Kerala|
Nepathya presented Koodiyattam SUBADRADHANANJAYAM by Nepathya Rahul Chakyar on Oct 14, and Chakyarkoothu RAMAYANAM by Nepathya Sreehari Chakyar on Oct 15.
At: Nepathya’s kothambalam, Aluva, 6.30pm.
|October 14 & 15, 2017 Singapore|
Soorya (Singapore) presented TRANSCENDENCE: TRANSCENDING GENDER, a classical dance production exploring the transience of gender using Indian mythology challenging preconceived notions of gender identities and stereotypes. Haleem Khan, Kuchipudi dancer, and cine actor, following the Rupanurupam style, who is famous for his impersonation of female roles, Irijanlakkuda Krishnakumar, prominent male dancer performing the exclusively female dance form of Mohiniattam and Maalika Panicker of Singapore, Bharatanatyam dancer.
Venue: Esplanade Theatre Studio, 7pm
Contact: 9389 0407 / email@example.com
|October 13 - 15, 2017 Bangalore|
Karnataka Nirityakala Parishath presente ANKURA 2017.
- Oct 13: Rashmi Thaper (BN), Dhanyasree Prabhu (BN), Namitha Balagopal (Mohiniattam), Bhuvana G Prasad (BN)
- Oct 14: Bianca Radhakrishna BN), Sheetal Hemanth (BN), Chitra Centre for Perf Arts (BN), Divya Hoskere (BN)
- Oct 15: Suchitra Diwakar (BN), M Ananya (BN), Shrividhya N Bharadwaj (Kathak), Preeti Bharadwaj (BN)
At: Shukra Auditorium, 15th Cross, opp Girias showroom, Malleswaram, 6pm.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 9844089035 / 080-23374712
|October 12 - 15, 2017 Chennai|
Kalpashree Performing Arts Centre Trust (Bangalore) celebrated with KALPASHREE NATARAJOSTAVA for its 29th anniversary.
At: RK Swamy hall & Kapaleesewarar temple, Mylapore
|October 7 - 15, 2017 Bangalore|
- Oct 7: Nirupama Rajendra presented a talk on ‘Multi disciplinary approach to ensemble production’ at Nitya Nritya Conference.
Venue: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 10.30am
- Oct 14: Nirupama, Rajendra and Abhinava Dance Company presented Abhinava's special productions in memories of Late Dr.Sulochana Gunasheela.
Venue: Ritz Carlton, 6pm
- Oct 15: Films have interesting stories to tell. To bring forth a deeper understanding of performing arts, Abhinava conducts CHITRARANGA, a quarterly activity which entails the screening of variety of excerpts from films led by Shatavadhani Dr. Ganesh. These sessions throw light on various aspects of choreography, music, story concepts and play of emotions.
Venue: Abhinava Arts Space, 10am
For details contact: email@example.com / +919902355722
|October 14, 2017 Washington D.C |
Kala Vandanam presented excerpt of RITU - THE SEASONS at Dakshina Fall Festival of Indian Dance.
Venue: Atlas Performing Arts Center, 7.30pm
|October 14, 2017 New Delhi|
Aparna Rajaraman Balaji celebrated the 5th anniversary of Shubhanu Nrithyakshetram with a BN recital by her students accompanied by Dr Vasudevan Iyengar on vocal, Keshavan Perumal on mridangam, Rohit Prasanna on flute, and Aparna on the nattuvangam.
At: IIC, 6.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 98109 59288
|October 12-14, 2017 Washington DC|
Dakshina presented its 14th Annual Fall Festival of South Asian Arts.
- Oct 12: Mallika Sarabhai and Darpana presented CLASSIC TO CONTEMPORARY in form and theme.
- Oct 13: Rama Vaidyanathan presented MAD AND DIVINE, An insight into the life and teachings of the 13th century Saint Janabai from Maharashtra and the 14th century Saint Lalleswari or Lalded as she was fondly called, from Kashmir. Mad and Divine was first commissioned by the Mad and Divine Festival held by the Kartik Fine Arts Chennai (2011) curated by Anita Ratnam.
- Oct 14: Leela Samson and Spanda Dance Company presented NADI. From Sufi fakirs in the North to Baul singers in Bengal to Sangam poetry and classical composers in the South – an ocean of poetry has been penned inspired by the river. NADI seeks to explore the love and longing, the physical changes and the deep philosophy that the river inspired through the centuries-old voices of India’s poets.
At: Atlas Performing Arts Center, 7:30pm
|October 12 & 13, 2017 Washington DC|
As part of a weeklong residency with Daniel P. Singh's Dakshina Dance Festival, New York based choreographer Parijat Desai performed her new solo in development O.O.F. (studies in the opposite of fear) as part of a showcase with two DC artists, immediately preceding the main festival show, October 13. A version of the piece was also performed in the lobby prior to the Thursday and Saturday festival shows.
At: Atlas Center for Performing Arts
|October 13, 2017 New Delhi|
Taneira presented THARI - THE LOOM by Malavika Sarukkai. Thari explores the design and play of thread, together with ideas of the constant and variable, the eternal and changing - the warp and weft. Through inventive dance design and specially commissioned poetry & music - colour, design & motif assume mythic and philosophical dimensions, such that the saree becomes a metaphor for life itself.
The production weaves together inputs from several artists across India such as Sumantra Ghosal on creative collaboration, Prof. C. V. Chandrasekhar and Aditya Prakash on music production, Sai Shravanam on sound engineering and Gyandev Singh on light design. Malavika Sarukkai’s group of dancers- Jyotsna Jagannathan, Aruna Balagurunathan, Shruthipriya Margabandhu Ravichandran, Navyashree KN and Shreema Upadhyaya.
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7.15pm
|October 13, 2017 Singapore|
As part of Got to Move, an initiative by the National Arts Council (NAC), to celebrate the diversity of dance in Singapore, Maya Dance Theatre presented a preview of its latest work, ANWESHA-BEYOND THE DARKNESS! which addresses the relevant yet less discussed subject of mental well-being; delving into the ‘urban-ness’ of society and its intangible pressures that result in a state of reduced mental wellness. Artistic director and choreographer, Kavitha Krishnan, co-choreographers, Shahrin Johry and Danang Pamungkas (Solo, Indonesia).
At: Apsara Asia Studio, 114 Lavender Street CT Hub 2 #08-75, Singapore 338729, 7:45-9pm
|October 10 & 12, 2017 Kerala|
New Jersey based Bharatanatyam exponent Bala Devi Chandrashekar presented KARNA at the Soorya Festival in Kerala.
- 10th Oct: Palakkad – Swaralaya, 7pm
- 12th Oct: Trivandrum - Co Bank Auditorium, 6.45pm
For more information: www.baladevichandrashekar.com
|October 11, 2017 Bangalore|
Drishti Art Foundation in association with Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan presented An Evening of Folk Dances by Al-Horryia Folk Troupe from Egypt.
At: Khincha Auditorium, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Race Course Road, 6.30pm
|October 2, 10 & 11, 2017 Mumbai, Mysore & Delhi|
Schedule for Uma Dogra and disciples
- Oct 2: Indrayanee Mukhejee and Sarita Kalele, Kathak duet, Iskcon Hall, Juhu, Mumbai
- Oct 10: Akhila Nair, disciple of Uma Dogra, solo Kathak performance in Pallovotsav in Mysore.
- Oct 11: Indrayanee Mukherjee, disciple of Uma Dogra, solo Kathak performance in Azad Bhavan ICCR, New Delhi
Info: 9820711418 / www.umadogra.com
|October 9, 2017 Mumbai|
Marg released its issue CONTEMPORARY DANCE IN INDIA guest edited by Astad Deboo and Ketu H Katrak. Eminent critic Leela Venkataraman unveiled the magazine. The evening featured performances curated by Astad Deboo.
At: Black Box, G5A Foundation for Contemporary Culture, G5A Laxmi Mills Estate, Shakti Mills Lane, Off Dr E Moses, Rd, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai 400011, at 7pm. (022) – 24909393
|October 8, 2017 St Albans, UK|
Divya Kasturi presented a trio of works illustrating some of the rich and varied cultural tapestry of South Asia. To Varnam … with Love, is a new work created as part of The Place’s research and development programme Choreodrome 2017. An interweaving of personal and artistic lineage, historical nostalgia and reverence for tradition.
DKC Singers presented Gaana Manjari - A bouquet of compositions spanning classical carnatic, semi-classical and bhajan.
Darshan - A piece glorifying Bharatanatyam in all its divine splendour, this work sees video design integrated with classical choreography.
At: Trestle Arts Base, Russet Drive, St Albans AL4 0JQ, 5.30pm
|October 8, 2017 Bangalore|
Bhoomika M. Gowda presented a Bharatanatyam recital on the compositions of Purandhara Dasaru and Maharaja Swati Tirunal. Nattuvangam - Raghunandan S, vocal-Vinay Raj Maanya, mridangam - Janardhan Rao, flute-Mahesh Swamy, rhythm pad-Raghavendra
At: Seva Sadan, 6pm
|October 6 - 8, 2017 St. Louis, MO|
Soorya Performing Arts presented KALANAVARATHRI celebrated in the spirit of Navarathri festival to help each other and also to create awareness of our art forms.
- Oct 6: Performances by Nithya Kasibhatla, Samanvita Kasthuri, Shree Govani, Smruthi Rath from 6:30 - 9:30pm
- Oct 7: BHAKTI PATHA by Guru Prasanna Kasthuri with Seema Kasthuri on vocal, Samanvita Kasthuri on nattuvangam, Srinivas Venupuri on mridangam, Savitha Vishwanath on violin - a presentation of Nava bhakti or nine devotion through Bharathanatyam.
At Gandhi Centre, Manchester, MO, from 6:30 - 9pm
- Oct 8: Hurricane Victims Fundraising by more than 50 artistes, an Indian community wide event of dance, music and theatre to support people of Florida and Texas, who faced natural calamities - Irma and Harvey.
At: Gandhi Center, 717 Weidman Rd, Manchester, MO 63021, 3 - 6pm
Info: http://www.sooryaperformingarts.org / 314-397-5278
|October 6 - 8, 2017 Slovenia |
CID's DANCE PEDAGOGY CONFERENCE IN SLOVENIA, in Velenje - participants from all countries.
|October 6 - 8, 2017 Bangalore|
NITYA NRITYA is a premier conference and festival of Indian dance in Bangalore that has been carefully nurtured by Lalitha & Srinivasan of Nupura for the last 27 years and is currently presented under the stewardship of Dr V.K. Aatre. This year the conference (10am – 1pm) on the 7th and 8th October at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan addressed the allure of the Ensemble productions and its approach, design and associated challenges. Seasoned and upcoming dancers presented their experiences. The conference also presents performances on both days post the lecture demonstrations and discussions.
- 6th October, 6.15pm
Nitya Nritya presented Navia Natarajan at 6.45pm followed by Dr. Anupama Kylash who presented the works of the Telugu Vaggeyakaras with the rarely seen Kuchipudi dance form Vilasini Natyam, at 7.45pm
At: Khincha Memorial Hall, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
- 7th October, 6.30pm
The thematic ‘Celebrating Thyagaraja’ to commemorate his 250th birth anniversary was the central piece featuring Veena & Dhanya Nair performing Mohiniattam, the Nupura Ensemble performed Bharatanatyam (7.15pm) and Avijit Das presented a Kuchipudi solo (8pm).
At: Krishnadevaraya Kalamandira
- 8th October, 6.30pm
Chitra Arvind and Dr. Seshadri Iyengar concluded the thematic ‘Celebrating Thyagaraja’ on the final day. At 7.30pm, Odissi Dance ensemble led by Sharmila Biswas was the finale.
At: Krishnadevaraya Kalamandira
Info: 98455 17610 / 98452 02766
|October 1, 7 & 8, 2017 Bangalore|
Schedule for Chitra Arvind & Rhythmotion
- Oct 1, 5.15pm: Rhythmotion performed Kathak and Bharatanatyam, at Nayana auditorium, Kannada Bhavana, J C Road, as part of Nrithya Utsava 2017
- Oct 7, 6.30pm: Presented dance drama SRI RAMA RAGHU RAMA choreographed for the Nupura ensemble as part of the Nupura Nitya Nritya festival, at Sri Krishnadevaraya Kala Mandira, behind Chowdiah Memorial Hall, Malleswaram, Bengaluru
- Oct 8: Bharatanatyam duet CELEBRATING THYAGARAJA by Chitra Arvind and Dr.Seshadri Iyengar for Nupura Nitya Nritya festival on 8th Oct 2017 at Sri Krishnadevaraya Kala Mandira
|October 7, 2017 Naperville, IL|
Co-presented by Natya Dance Theatre and Nrithyanjali School of Dance, Leela Samson's Spanda Dance Company brought NADI to the Chicago area. Spanda Dance is a group founded in 1995 that presents works conceived and choreographed by Leela Samson, explores group dynamics in Bharatanatyam. Spanda seeks to establish a relevant dialogue between dance, music and stage craft.From Sufi fakirs in the North to Baul singers in Bengal to Sangam poetry and classical composers in the South, an ocean of poetry has been penned inspired by the river. NADI explores the love and longing, the physical changes and the deep philosophy that the river inspired through the centuries-old voices of India's poets. NADI includes eclectic selection of poems in different languages and musical genres from the thumris of Varanasi, to Tagore's melodies and the Baul renderings of Bengal, to Sangam poetry, the previous centuries Dikshitar, and to modern-day Girish Karnad of the South. These pieces are tied together by Rajkumar Bharathi, who has used some traditional tunes and has re-composed others to create dialogue between music genres and between languages of the vast nation of India. NADI is a common link with elements like the river teaching man the usefulness and beauty of nature and our link to it.
At: Pfeiffer Hall at North Central College, 310 East Benton Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540, 7pm
Info: email@example.com / 312-212-1240
|October 7, 2017 Houston, TX|
Samarpan presented BN recital by Renjith and Vijna
At: The Kaplan Theatre, Houston, 4pm
Contact Padmini Chari: 281-537-1044
|October 6, 2017 Aurangabad|
A baithak of Indian classical dance to mark the contribution of Guru Parwati Dutta to art and culture during her 20 years of association with Mahagami Gurukul. Kathak by Amruta Gogte Paranjpe and Bharatanatyam by Swarada Bhave.
At: Mahagami campus, 6.30pm
|October 4 & 6, 2017 Palakkad & Bangalore|
Schedule for Navia Natarajan
- Oct 4, 6pm: Performance for Swaralaya Samanvayam 2017at Raapadi auditorium, Fort Maidan, Palakkad, Kerala
- Oct 6th, 6:15pm: Performance for Nitya Nritya festival by Nupura School of Bharatanatyam at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Race Course Road, Bangalore
|October 5, 2017 Warangal|
Bharatanatyam dancer Archana Karry, Manjeeram Academy of Fine Arts, Hyderabad, gave TedX talk followed by performance.
Venue: TedX talk - NIT Warangal
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.manjeeram.com
|October 3, 2017 Bangalore|
Kampni's choreographies THE COSMIC DANCER and HARMONY were presented at the Global Festival of Spiritual Sciences in Pyramid Valley at 8.30pm
|September 23 - October 3, 2017 Japan|
Guru Gajendra Kumar Panda and Tridhara toured Japan.
- Sept 23 & 24: Odissi dance workshop at Nagoya organized by Tridhara Japan
- Sept 26: Folk dance sambalpuri workshop at Kawasaki, Kanagawa organized by Kaajal Mishra
- Sept 27: Odissi dance workshop at Kawasaki, Kanagawa organized by Kaajal Mishra
- Sept 29: Odissi & Sambalpuri program at Seto, Aichi, organized by Misonopia
- Oct 1: Namaste India in Kariya festival at Kariya, Aichi, organized by KIFA (Kariya International friendship Association)
- Oct 3: AKHADA, Nagoya program, organized by Tridhara Japan
|October 2, 2017 Bangalore|
Utsav Music presented GANGA TO KAVERI - Connecting Rivers Through Dance. This production is an attempt to connect the different Indian Rivers through several classical Indian dance styles, paving the way for national artistic integration! This production will take us river rafting with traditional songs and dances that visualise the beauty of the various rivers of India connecting them artistically. Each dancer has been assigned one popular river of India and the dance presentations will mostly be in a solo format. The invocation and finale numbers of the production will, however, be performed altogether as a Jala Sangamam!
River Yamuna: Prateeksha Kashi (Kuchipudi), River Narmada: Divya Ravi (Bharatanatyam),
River Brahmaputra: Abhaya Lakshmi (Odissi), River Ganga: Priyanka Rajasekar (Kathak),
River Kaveri: Matangi Prasan (Bharatanatyam)
Narration: Dr Chithra Madhavan, Vocal: Varijashree Venugopalan, Music: Praveen D Rao
Concept and Production: Churchill Pandian
At: ADA Rangamandira, 6.30pm
Contact: +91 9282122550
|October 2, 2017 Kochi|
Dharani presented a Bharatanatyam recital by BK Shafeekuddin and Shabana Shafeekuddin (disciples of The Dhananjayans)
At: Pastoral Orientation Centre, Palarivattom, Kochi, 6.45pm
|October 1, 2017 Bangalore|
Naatyakalakshetra presented NRITHYA UTSAVA 2017 featuring BN by Prashant Gopal Shastry and Hema Prabhat, solo Bharatha Nrithyam by Niveditha Arjun, Kuchipudi and Kathak by Surya Rao & Prathama Prasad Rao, Odissi by Kohal Das and Vivekini Das.
Nrithya Prabha award to Guru Veena Murthy Vijay
At: Nayana Ranga Mandira, JC Road, 6.15pm
From 4pm to 6pm, UTSAVA OF DANCE by noted dance schools of Bangalore - students of Naatyakalakshetra, Sukruthi Natyalaya, Nrityantar, Rhythmotion, Kalabharati BVB, Chithkala School of Dance, Sai Arts International and Nupura, performed.
At: Naatyakalakshetra, # 3, B 105 Century Marvel Kempapura Hebbal, Bangalore 24
Info: 95351 47234 / email@example.com