|September 1 - 21, 2017 Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore|
The 11th year of The Park’s New Festival is held across six cities- Chennai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bangalore. The festival is conceptualized and curated by The Park Hotels along with Prakriti Foundation.
*Contemporary Dance - The Performances and choreographers are Folktale by Surjit Nongmeikapam from Manipur, F4 by Virieno Zakiesato from Nagaland, Awakening by Parth Bharadwaj, Hands & Face Projects by Diya Naidu and Architect of Self-destruction by Abhilash Ningappa from Bangalore.
*Theatre - Anu Menon (aka) Lola Kutty is a VJ on Channel V. In her show Celebrity Forum/Lola TV, Lola Kutty plays interviewer to celebrities esp. Bollywood personalities. Lola’s shows don’t involve vulgar, corny or spicy humour rather; they rely on witty asides and straight-faced questions for humour.
*Music - Roopa Mahadevan is a versatile vocalist rooted in Carnatic classical tradition. She is the artistic director of the NYC based Navatman Music Collective.
1 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at The Park
2 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at The Park
3 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Spaces
5 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at The Park
6 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at The Park
7 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Shri Ram Centre
8 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at The Park
9 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Gyan Manch
10 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at The Park
12 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Sitara Studio
13 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at G5A Foundation for Contemporary
14 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at Sitara Studio
15 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Ravindra Bharati
16 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at The Park
17 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at The Park
19 Sept, 7pm: Contemporary Dance performance by Surjit Nongmeikpam, at Guru Nanak
20 Sept, 7pm: Music performance by Roopa Mahadevan, at The Park
21 Sept, 7pm: Theatre performance by Anuradha Menon (aka) Lola Kutty, at The Park
Contact Tahmeen Mehtab for more info: 09999990520 / email@example.com
|September 4 - 30, 2017 New Delhi|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha
- 4 Sept: Sharanya Chandran will present a solo Bharatanatyam performance at the Japanese embassy in New Delhi in Shantipath as part of a reception hosted by Japanese Ambassador to India - H.E. Kenji Hiramatsu, in honor of Shobana Kamineni, Executive Vice Chairperson of Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited, who has been elected as the New chairman of CII (Confederation of Indian Industry).
- 6 Sept: Dr. Sneha Chakradhar, disciple of Geeta Chandran and Guru K.N Dakshinamoorthy, embarks upon a spiritual journey of self discovery through the works of Tulsidas, Meerabai and Kabir in TUMEKAM in an evening of Kathak and Bharatanatyam presented by Kala Kunj.
At: Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi. All are welcome.
- 8 Sept, 5.30pm: Divya Saluja, disciple of Geeta Chandran, presents an evening of Bharatanatyam for the ASEAN Diplomats who are being hosted by the Ministry of External Affairs at MEA - Foreign Service Institute, at Ber Serai. The dance recital will be presented during the cultural evening organized specially for these delegates.
- 8 Sept: Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha Dance Company perform at the Hotel Le Meredien (corporate show)
- 9 Sept, 6:30pm: Geeta Chandran will deliver the R.C. Poduval Memorial Lecture at the International Kathakali Centre in Delhi. Lecture: Creativity in the Classical Idiom - Some thoughts
- 16 Sept, 6.30pm: Chinmaya Centre for World Understanding presents BHAKTI PRAVAH, a classical dance performance by Geeta Chandran, prefaced by a lecture CELEBRATING BHAKTI by Swami Prakarshananda, Head, Delhi Chinmaya Mission.
At: Chinmaya Mission Auditorium, 89 Lodi Estate, New Delhi-110003. Entry via Donor Cards of Rs. 500 available from Mission Bookshop.
- 23 Sept: Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha perform at Ganesha Natyalaya’s NITYA AKHANDA NRITYAM, the overnight celebration of the 80th birthday of Guru Saroja Vaidyanathan
- 26 Sept: Radhika Kathal, disciple of Geeta Chandran will perform for the Sarita Vihar Durga Puja Pandal
- 27 Sept: Disciples of Dancer Geeta Chandran will present their annual performance at the Gulmohar Park/Neeti Bagh Durga Puja Padal, 7:30pm.
- 29 Sept: To celebrate America-India week, Sandya Das, disciple of Geeta Chandran presents a short performance at the American Center in New Delhi.
- 30 Sept: Annual Vidyaarambham celebrations will take place at Natya Vriksha Studio.
|September 6 - 25, 2017 Bangalore|
Bengaluru International Arts Festival (BIAF) 2017, 10th year celebration of Harmony through Arts, 11 days - 10 venues across Bengaluru.
|September 8 - 26, 2017 Bangalore|
Schedule for Madhu Nataraj and Natya Stem Dance Kampni
- 8th Sept: Madhu Nataraj and the Kampni will perform a unique choreography for Intel -celebrating Inclusivity and Harmony
- 15th Sept: NSDK will conduct a lecture demonstration and workshop at the Natya STEM Studio on the evolving Indian dance heritage for a group of students from Em Lyon Business School, France
- 15th Sept: Kampni director Madhu Nataraj along with the Kampni presents RAMANUBHAVA - Experiencing the Adikavya through Indian Dance' at an international conference- "Connecting Cultures- Ramayana Retellings in South India & Southeast Asia" at the NIAS auditorium at 6.30 pm.
- 26th Sept: NSDK presents an evening of Indian Contemporary dance for Vista
|September 14 & 22, 2017 Baroda & Thane|
Schedule for Uma Dogra and disciples.
- Sept 14: Dance performance in Baroda at Baroda University
- Sept 22: Uma Dogra with group for SPICMACAY in Lodha School, Thane.
Info: 9820711418 / www.umadogra.com
|September 15 - 29, 2017 USA|
Viva Kultura presents DISCOVER INDIA, an evening of dance, theater, martial arts & live music. Since time immemorial India has been nourished by great tales of wisdom, love and adventure, shared from generation to generation. A group of 50 artists from 15 different countries coming together in a fusion of live classical music, Bharatanatyam dance, modern jazz, hip hop, ballet, acrobatics and traditional Indian folk dance to present a 3-hour foray into the heart of Indian cultural expression.
Sri Nama Velez, Theatrical Director / Stephen Bell, Musical Director
Vaibhav Arekar, Dance Director / Padma Heidmann: Martial Arts Director
-Sep 15: The Kelly Theater West Liberty University, 208 University Drive, West Liberty, WV 26074, 4pm
-Sep 16: New Vrindavan Palace of Gold, 3759 McCrearys Ridge Rd, Moundsville, WV 26041, 2pm
-Sep 17: Dublin Abbey Theater, 5600 Post Rd, Dublin, OH 43017, 4pm
-Sep 21: Buffalo State University, Campbell Student Union, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo, NY 14222, 6pm
-Sep 22: Rochester Fringe Festival, School of the Arts | Allen Main Stage Theatre, 45 Prince Street, Rochester, NY 14607, 5.30pm
-Sep 23: Philadelphia Eakins Oval, 2451 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA 19130, 2pm
-Sep 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, 6pm
-Sep 26: Uni of Maryland, Maryland memorial chapel, 7600 Baltimore Ave, College Park, MD 20740, 6pm
-Sep 27: Rutgers University, Livingston Student Center, 84 Joyce Kilmer Avenue, Piscataway, NJ, 7pm
-Sep 29: Pennsylvania State University, HUB-Robeson Center, State College, PA 16801
|September 17 & 23, 2017 Aurangabad & Mumbai|
Schedule of Smitalay and Jhelum Paranjape for September 2017.
- 17th Sept, Sunday: Solo performance by Jhelum Paranjape at the 10th Anniversary ceremony in memory of Akshta Prakash Kulkarni organized by Tejaswini Memorial Trust and J J School of Performing Arts, Aurangabad
At: Yashwantrao Chavan Natya Mandir, Aurangabad, 7pm.
- 23rd Sept, Saturday: Solo performance by Ankur Ballal for Sangeet Nritya Yatra 2017 organized by Sharda Sangeet Vidyalaya on the occasion of their 90th Anniversary.
At: Sharda Sangeet Vidyalaya, Bandra East, Mumbai, 5.30pm.
Info: 84528 57029 / www.smitalay.com
|September 20, 2017 Wirksworth, UK|
‘DASTAAN’ is a performance experience in 2 halves of projected film with live music. Set up in a silent film style scenario, it is played by 5 musicians of different musical genres, backgrounds and faiths, including Sonia Sabri Company's musical director Sarvar Sabri. 'Dastaan' (means ‘story’ or ‘story of our life’) explores the traditional Persian calligraphy known as Nasta’liq and celebrates it as an art form in its own right. In ‘Dastaan’ the audience see calligraphy come alive and dance across the screen.
At: Wirksworth Festival, Wirksworth DE4 4EU, 9am
|September 21 - 23, 2017 New Delhi|
Radha Anjali & Natya Mandir Dance Company present a thematic performance ‘View on Mahabharata - a story of war and peace’ in the LALITARPAN FESTIVAL on 21st September at Habitat Centre, Stein Auditorium, at 7pm. They perform on 22nd September at the AUSTRIAN EMBASSY and on 23rd September at Ganesha Natyalaya’s NITYA AKHANDA NRITYAM, celebration of the 80th birthday of Guru Saroja Vaidyanathan.
|September 22, 2017 Bangalore|
Soundarya Srivatsa, Sathyanarayana Raju and Praveen Kumar celebrate their Guru Narmada’s birthday remembrance with LEGACY-Remembering the Roots, a program devoted to her choreographies.
At: JSS Auditorium, Jayanagar, 8th Block, 6.30pm
|September 22, 2017 Kolkata|
Dancers Guild presents Chauni & Shiva Tandava (Chhau) by Madhumita Paul, RHYTHM OF MANIPUR by Meitei Jagoi, Devjani Chaliha’s School for Manipuri dance.
At: Manjushree Sabagriha, Mrittika, DD 19 Salt lake, Kolkata 700064, 6.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 98302 04412
|September 22, 2017 San Jose, CA|
Nitya Narasimhan, student of Rukmini Vijayakumar, presents Bharatanatyam Margam for SRRT Navarathri Festival.
Venue: Sri Rajarajeswari Temple, San Jose, California, 7pm
|September 22 & 23, 2017 Sydney|
Presented by FORM Dance Projects, URBAN KALI is a multi-disciplinary performance that integrates dance, installation and film. Urban Kali explores themes of female 'shame', a concept prevalent throughout Indian society and many other cultures. Through performing iconography of the Hindu Goddess Kali, Rakini Devi creates a mythical persona to protest misogynist attitudes and atrocities. Drawing on her Kolkata origins, classical Indian dance forms and visual arts practice, Rakini showcases the female form as both ritual and artefact.
Creator and performer: Rakini Devi / Sound and film designer: Karl Ford
At: Riverside Theatres - Corner of Church and Market Streets, Parramatta, 8pm
Info: (02) 8839 3399
|September 22 - 24, 2017 New Delhi|
Natya Tarangini - Raja Radha Reddy Centre for Performing Arts presents the 21st Edition of PARAMPARA SERIES festival of music and dance.
- Sept 22:
Raja Radha Reddy & Natya Tarangini students - Kuchipudi
Purbayan Chatterjee & Rakesh Chaurasia - jugalbandi of sitar & flute
- Sept 23:
Ustad Rashid Khan - Hindustani classical
Dr. N. Rajam along with Dr.Sangeeta Shankar, Ragini & Nandini Shankar - three generations on the violin
- Sept 24:
Rajashree Shirke - Kathak
Ramakant & Umakant Gundecha - Dhrupad
At: Kamani Auditorium, 1 Copernicus Marg, New Delhi, 7pm
|September 23, 2017 Chennai|
Naatyakalakshetra presents Celebrating Navrathri through dance – Prashanth Shastry and Hema Prabath, Manasa Sriram, Manasa Mukund and Sahitya V.
At: Ayyappan temple, KK Nagar, 7pm
|September 23, 2017 New Delhi|
On 94th birth anniversary of Narendra Sharma, Bhoomika rededicates it newly built NARENJAYAN STUDIO to arts community. Inauguration is by renowned artists Chameli & A. Ramachandran. Program includes screening of A LIFE IN DANCE, premiere of STLL FRAMING - dance films by Bharat Sharma.
At: 53, Bharati Artists Colony, Vikas Marg, Delhi 110092, 6pm
Info: 99100 52716
|September 23, 2017 Oswego, IL |
Natya Dance Theatre presents Mallika Sarabhai's OUT OF BOUNDS + FINDING MY VOICE (double bill).
The lyrics for Bharatanatyam were written many hundred years ago, when humanity's primary concern was the longing to find god or be united with the eternal One. The lyrics were primarily in Tamil and Telugu with later dancers bringing in the voices of Kabir, Meera and other medieval poets.Today some of us wish to speak of other, more current issues and thoughts, still using the sophistry of the dance style of Bharata Natyam. Finding My Voice brings to audiences thoughts on global warming, live in relationships, an atheist's relationship with the goddess, sexual preferences and the growing intolerance in the world, all in the strictest and most complex Pandanallur Bharatanatyam vocabulary.
In Out of Bounds, Revanta Sarabhai and Pooja Purohit pose the question: what happens when you dissect Bharatanatyam to its core? The two dancers look for a new narrative, while their bodies still carry traces of the past. We see, in three chapters, a man and a woman transform the pure form of their dance to a story about relationships.
Choreography: Mallika and Revanta Sarabhai
At: Oswego East High School, 1525 Harvey Road, Oswego, IL 60543, 5pm
Tickets: $20 advance purchase, $25 day of show (https://www.artful.ly/natya-dance-theatre/store/events/12366)
Info: email@example.com / 312-212-1240
|September 23, 2017 NYC|
New Jersey based Bharatanatyam exponent Bala Devi Chandrashekar presents KARNA - DESTINY'S CHILD at the Symphony Space, 7pm
|September 23 & 30, 2017 NYC|
Daya Arts presents TWIN RIVERS, a multidisciplinary work which explores the similarities between West African, West Indian, & Indian spirituality. Seamlessly incorporating dance, music, poetry, fashion, & visual art, this production focuses on the iconography & performance rituals associated with certain orishas in the Yoruba tradition & certain Hindu gods & goddesses.
Concept, choreography, & script: Kiran Rajagopalan
Dramaturgy & art direction: J. Wesley Beeks
Featured artists: Tony Yemaya, Sheriden Booker, Sharanya Manivannan, Jamara Wakefield
Sept 23 @ 12pm: Autumn Moon Festival (Staten Island, NYC)
Sept 30 @ 5pm: Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden,1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301. Followed by Q & A.
|September 23 - October 3, 2017 Japan|
Guru Gajendra Kumar Panda and Tridhara tour Japan.
- Sept 23 & 24: Odissi dance workshop at Nagoya organized by Tridhara Japan
- Sept 26: Folk dance sambalpuri workshop at Kawasaki, Kanagawa organized by Kaajal Mishra
- Sept 27: Odissi dance workshop at Kawasaki, Kanagawa organized by Kaajal Mishra
- Sept 29: Odissi & Sambalpuri program at Seto, Aichi, organized by Misonopia
- Oct 1: Namaste India in Kariya festival at Kariya, Aichi, organized by KIFA (Kariya International friendship Association)
- Oct 3: AKHADA, Nagoya program, organized by Tridhara Japan
|September 24, 2017 Bangalore|
Kuchipudi Parampara Foundation, Bangalore, presents GURU VANDANAM honoring Guru Bala Kondala Rao.
-Documentary screening & felicitation
-Kuchipudi solo: Payal Ramchandani, Delhi
-Kuchipudi duet: Sita Lakshmi Prasad & Pasumarthi Mruthyunjaya Sarma
-Kuchipudi group: Kuchipudi Parampara Foundation Ensemble- Choreography Deepa Narayanan
Venue: Shukra Auditorium, Malleshwaram, Bangalore, 6pm. All are welcome.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 9845315272
|September 24, 2017 Chennai|
Dance theatre MY TYAGARAJA, a poignant tribute as narrated by Bangalore Nagaratnamma, presented by Lakshmi Vishwanathan and her troupe.
At: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mylapore, 6.30pm
|September 25, 27 & 30 Nemily, Bangalore|
Schedule for Kavya Kasinathan, disciple of Mithun Shyam, Vaishnavi Natyashala, Bangalore.
25th - Bala Devi Temple, Nemili, Tamilnadu, 10.30am
27th - Shri Maheshwari Devasthana Trust, 8th Cross, Malleshwaram, Bangalore,6.15-7.30pm
30th - Jai Santoshi Maa Bhavasar Kshatriya Association, Bangalore Tamil Sangam, 6.30-7pm
Info: email@example.com / 9341248059
|September 26 - 30, 2017 New Delhi|
Sahitya Kala Parishad, Dept of Art Culture and Languages, and Govt of Delhi presents PURANA QILA DANCE FESTIVAL.
- Sept 26: THE GAME OF DICE by Santosh Nair and Sadhya group (contemporary)
- Sept 27: NAMAMI GANGE by Saroja vaidyanathan and Ganesa Natyalaya (BN)
- Sept 28: TRADITION TO CONTEMPORARY by Kiran Segal and Nrithya Sangeet Vidyalaya (Odissi)
- Sept 29: VIVARTA by Kumudini Lakhia and Kadamb (Kathak)
- Sept 30: DRAMATIC TALES by Vanashree Rao and Rasa United (Kuchipudi)
Venue: Old Fort complex, Mathura Rd, New Delhi 110003, 7pm daily. All are welcome.
|September 28, 2017 Bradford, UK|
OUTLANDS is a triple bill of contemporary dance, that showcases and celebrates up and coming female choreographers commissioned as part of 2Faced Dance Company’s The BENCH India and UK program. It features Hemabharathy Palani, Roonita Mookerji and choreographer Emma-Jayne Park from the UK. These extraordinary female choreographers present an intimate evening of work, to mark the deep cultural ties between India and the UK as part of the UK-India Year of Culture 2017. The works presented in OUTLANDS has been commissioned by The BENCH.
At: Kala Sangam, St Peter's House, 1 Forster Square, Bradford BD1 4TY, 7.30pm
|September 28, 2017 Derby, UK|
Continuing thecelebration of UK-India Year of Culture, Deda presents a triple bill evening of South Asian Dance features artists from across the Midlands including Kathak piece Salaam from Sonia Sabri Company and contemplative three from collaborators Subhash Viman, TJ Lowe, Andy Hamer, Jean Abreu and Morph Dance Company. Completing the line-up is Vidya Patel, presenting brand new work The Beginning exploring the roots of the Kathak form.
At: Déda, Chapel Street, Cathedral Quarter, Derby, DE1 3GU, 7.30pm
|September 29 and 30, 2017 Philadelphia, PA |
Presented by the Courtyard Dancers, FACING EAST is the only Indian dance and music festival in Philadelphia that returns to the city in September. This festival enriches the mosaic of immigrant cultures in America by performing India’s multicultural heritage.
Akshara, Sreyashi Dey- Odissi
Dakshina Daniel Phoenix Dance Company- Bharatanatyam
Abhik Mukherjee- Sitar; Tejas Tope- Tabla
Courtyard Dancers, Pallabi Chakravorty-Kathak
Venue: Painted Bride Art Center, 230 Vine Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, 8pm
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Website: https://paintedbride.org/events/facingeast2017 / www.courtyarddancers.org
|September 30, 2017 Singapore|
Maharaja Swati Thirunal’s prolific works will be presented in three dance styles by dancers Rama Vaidhyanathan (Bharatanatyam), Gopika Varma (Mohiniattam), Shantha Ratii (Kuchipudi). Presented by Shantha Ratii Initiatives and Kairali Kala Nilayam.
Venue: Singapore Repertory Theatre, 7:30pm
|September 30, 2017 Bangalore|
On this auspicious day of Vijayadasami all the 400 dancers of ADC come together to share their artistry through an informal performance in an open class in the presence of their family and friends. They sing, dance & recite chants as a mark of worship to Goddess Saraswati - the goddess of wisdom, knowledge, learning, music and arts.
Venue: Abhinava arts space, 5pm to 7pm
For details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / +919902355722