|May 1 - 28, 2017 Poland, Switzerland, England, Bangalore|
Schedule for Nirupama & Rajendra, Abhinava Dance Company
-May 1- 3, Krakow, Poland: Nirupama Rajendra conduct Kathak and Bharatanatyam workshop organised by Anita Singh of Natyalaya, Krakow.
Venue: Gota Academy of Dance and Martial Arts, Krakow, Poland.
- May 6, Switzerland: Nirupama Rajendra perform for a fund raiser event for Reha Suisse.
Venue: Kirchgemeindehaus, Iffwilstrasse 6, 3303 Jegenstorf - Switzerland
- May 12, Liverpool, England: Nirupama Rajendra present their latest production ABHISAAR from 7.30pm to 9pm
Venue: The Capstone Theatre, Liverpool Hope University, 17 Shaw Street, Liverpool, L6 1HP
- May 13, Liverpool, England: Nirupama Rajendra conduct two workshops for Kathak students of Milapfest's Arts school at Liverpool Hope University.
Venue: Room COR, 201A, 10am to 12 Noon and 3pm to 5pm respectively
Liverpool Hope University, Creative Campus, 17 Shaw Street, Liverpool, L6 1HP
- May 19 – 21, Bangalore: Abhinava Dance Company organises Kathak workshop by Pt. Birju Maharaj & Saswathi Sen at ‘Srujana,’ Abhinava Studio
- May 26, Bangalore: Abhinava Dance Company presents Kathak for 3M.
Venue: Hotel Shangrila
- May 28, Bangalore: Abhinava Dance School presents Kathak solo YAGNYA by Shrividya Bharadwaj
Venue: Bangalore Town Hall, 6.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.abhinavadancecompany.com
|May 10 - 30, 2017 Irinjalakuda, Kerala|
Natana Kairali organizes NAVARASA SADHANA workshop by Guru G. Venu, for actors and dancers.
For further details, contact: Manager, Natana Kairali, Ammanur Chakyar Madhom, Irinjalakuda, Thrissur Dist, Kerala 680121
Info: +91 98464 52933 / email@example.com
|May 19 & 26, June 5 & 6, 2017 Bangalore, London, Colombo|
SAMHÄRA: THE BRAID, which premiered in 2012, was an international collaboration by Bangalore based Nrityagram Dance Ensemble with Sri Lanka’s Chitrasena Dance Company. Choreographed by Surupa Sen, with music composed by Pt. Raghunath Panigrahi, Saṃhära was a culmination of a significant five-year journey that explores the elemental connections between the sensuousness of Nrityagram’s Odissi and the masculine dynamism of Chitrasena’s Kandyan dance. After a gap of 4 years the two companies are coming together once again to reproduce Saṃhära featuring Surupa Sen, Bijayini Satpathy, Pavithra Reddy, Thaji Dias, Akshiti Roychowdhury, Urmila Mallick and Sandani Sulochani.
- 19th May at 8pm, Bhoomija presents Saṃhära
Venue: Chowdiah Memorial Hall, Bangalore
- 26th May at 7pm, Southbank Centre presents Saṃhära in the Alchemy Festival
Venue: Royal Festival Hall, London
- 5th & 6th June at 7.15pm, The Chitrasena Vajira Dance Foundation presents Saṃhära
Venue: Lionel Wendt Theatre, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
|May 21 & 31, 2017 Chicago, IL|
Schedule for Natya Dance Theatre
- May 21: Celebrate the joy of motion with dancers from around the world! Natya performs as part of an event honoring the beauty of unity-in-diversity through music and dance. DANCE, DIVERSITY, DIVINITY will be held at the Baha'i House of Worship from 1:30 - 3:30 pm, and is free and open to all.
- May 31: MADE IN CHICAGO with Natya Dance Theatre at the Harold Washington Library Center
at 12:15 pm for a free public performance of RASA - THE ESSENCE OF EMOTION, choreographed by Natya’s Artistic Director Hema Rajagopalan. This event is free and open to the public.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.natya.com
|May 25 - June 1, 2017 Tuscany, Italy|
Summer starts from Arts Oasis! International Residency for Performers
Arts Oasis residency means: International epicentre for meeting like-minded artists; New discoveries and creative inspiration; Safe environment for creative adventures and exploring new ideas; Platform for exchange and network, potential future artistic collaborations and firm creative partnerships.
Arts Oasis program is recommended to performers interested in learning about ensemble building, structuring the rehearsal process, refreshing creative energies and networking with practitioners from different countries establish future creative partnerships with like-minded people.
Monastero Santa Croce - Tuscany, Italy
Explore more and register for the program here: https://www.artsmonastero.info/
|May 28, 2017 Stroudsburg, PA |
Transformations - The Natya Shastra Conference / Jyesta Ashtami Havan and Wisdom Retreat- Bharatanatyam exponent and scholar Bala Devi Chandrashekar presents, ‘Abhinavabharati’ a theatrical experience with special reference to the core components of the 108 Karanas, followed by a performance depicting ‘Shanta Rasa’ and the tenets of Natya.
Venue: Shri Sharada temple, 327 Cays road, Stroudsburg, PA 18360, 8.30pm
For more information - www.baladevichandrashekar.com / http://zone3.koausa.org
|May 29, 2017 London, UK|
Akademi’s CHOREOGRAPHY COMMISSIONS latest round of annual choreography commissions propels choreographic talent Seeta Patel, Manuela Benini, Parbati Chaudhury, Raheem Mir and Shivaangee Agarwal onto the stage to present new work. This work-in-progress performance presents South Asian dance works in their initial stages of creation and offers artists an opportunity to get immediate feedback to develop it further. For audiences, it is an opportunity to see new work and to talent spot the next leaders in British South Asian dance scene.
At: Southbank Centre, London, SE18XX, 7pm
|May 31, 2017 Chicago |
"Made in Chicago" - Join Natya Dance Theatre at the Harold Washington Public Library for a free public performance of RASA - THE ESSENCE OF EMOTION, choreographed by Natya's Founder and Artistic Director, Hema Rajagopalan. This event is free and open to the public; no reservations are necessary.
At: Harold Washington Library (400 S State Street, Chicago, IL, 60605), 12:15pm
Info: email@example.com / www.natya.com
|June 1 & 2, 2017 Singapore|
Maya Dance Theatre returns with the second installment of its five-part series, PANCHA.
This is a story of 2 women who inspire hope.
Concept - Choreography - Artistic Direction - Kavitha Krishnan
Music Composition and Vocalist - Peni Chandrarini, Solo, Indonesia
Co-choreographer and Joan of Arc Character Development - Esme Boyce, USA
Dramaturge and Sita Character Development- Nirmala Seshadri
Visual Artist/ Set Design - Muhammad Izdi, Lighting Designer - Alberta Wileo
1 June at 7:30pm & 9:15pm / 2 June at 7:30pm & 9:15pm (with post dialogue)
At: Emily Hill (Level 2), 11 Upper Wilkie Road, Singapore 228120
|June 1 & 2, 2017 Chennai|
HUNDRED YEARS OF NRITYA BHARATEEYAM, a national seminar on Indian dance, to commemorate its hundredth year, is convened by Padma Subrahmanyam, and speakers will showcase the different forms of Indian dance and aspects. It is organised by the Indian Council of Historic Research, New Delhi, in collaboration with Bharata-Ilango Foundation for Asian Culture (BIFAC), Chennai, and C.P. Ramaswami Aiyar Institute of Indological Research (CPRIIR), Chennai.
- June 1: Dr. Sudarshan Rao will deliver the inaugural address. Dr. Nanditha Krishna, president, CPRIIR, will welcome the gathering. The seminar opens (11.20am) with a session, chaired by Nandini Ramani. Dr. Sarala will present a paper on ‘The Inheritance of Artistic Values from the Devadasis.’ V. Sriram will speak on the emergence of sabha culture. The second session opens with V.A.K. Ranga Rao’s talk on the influence of Indian classical dance on South Indian Cinema. Dr. Anuradha Jonnalagadda will deal with the Kuchipudi tradition. Sunil Kothari will speak on Indian dance in the diaspora. The third and final session (3.30pm) features Dr. K.G. Paulose, Ashish Khokar, Mallika Kandali and Kalakrishna speaking on Kerala dance forms, Kathak gharanas, a comparative study of Sattriya-Odissi and Andhra Natyam respectively.
- June 2: Speakers are Priyadarsini Govind (bani), Leela Venkataraman (Odissi), Shatavadani Dr. R. Ganesh (Yakshagana), Gayatri Kannan, Madhavi Puranam, Sandhya Purecha, Indira Bora, Jayashree Rajagopalan and Darshana Jhaveri (Manipuri). Sonal Mansingh will present the valedictory address.
At: C.P. Art Centre, Alwarpet, 11.20am onwards
|June 3, 2017 San Jose|
Jayendra Kalakendra performs as part of Balaji Matha Temple Anniversary celebrations
At: Balaji Temple, 5004 N First St, San Jose, CA 95002, 4pm. Admission is free.
|June 3 - 28, 2017 Chennai|
HEAVENLY BODIES, a photo exhibition by CP Satyajit at Varija Gallery
At: Dakshina Chitra, East Coast Rd, Muttukadu, Chennai 600118 (044 – 27472603) 10am to 6pm. Tues holiday
|June 3 - 30, 2017 Kolkata & CA|
Schedule for Sapphire Creations in June 2017.
- 3rd June: Sapphire Creations Dance Company presents SAPPHIRESCOPE as an amalgam of Contemporary, Fusion and Popular dances for the National Conference of Indian Farmer's Fertilisers Corporation (IFFCO)
At: Satyajit Ray Auditorium, 6pm
- 10th June: Sudarshan Chakravorty is Guest of Honour at Nutu Mukhapadhyay Memorial Concert together with Goutam De, (Director, ICCR, Kolkata), Meena Banerjee (music critic) and Anindya Banerjee (sarod player)
At: Triguna Sen Auditorium (Jadavpur University), 6pm
- 10th June: Sudarshan Chakravorty leads and conducts a movement workshop NARRATIVE BODY for repertory members of theatre group Chetana
At: Chetana Hall, Anwar Shah Rd, 3pm to 5pm
- 12th June: Sapphire Creations presents with American Center the inaugural event of SAPPHIRE QUARTERLY ARTS SERIES 2017-18 with a showcase of excerpts of various productions that is touring USA in June and July together with a discussion on the journey and relationship of Sapphire with American centre and US artists for the last 15 years. A kick off for the 25th year celebration of Sapphire Creations Dance Company
At: Lincoln Room, American Centre, Jawaharlal Nehru Rd, 7pm
- 23rd & 24th June: Sapphire Creations performs its acclaimed production EKONAMA in collaboration with Purulia Chau dancers at SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL DANCE FESTIVAL. The production speaks about diminishing fertility and femininity of Earth and Womanhood using electronic music composed by Debashish Sinha (Canada) and Philip Tan (Singapore)
At: Broadway Performance Hall, 1625, Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122
- 25th - 30th June: Sudarshan Chakravorty with team Sapphire Creations conducts a choreography session with Bengali diaspora for creating the Opening Ceremony of North America Bengali Conference 2017 with more than 150 dancers to be staged at Santa Clara Convention Centre.
At: Fremont, San Jose, San Francisco, CA
|June 4, 17 & 18, 2017 Santa Monica & Irvine, CA|
Schedule for Ramya Harishankar
- June 4, Santa Monica: See Arpana Dance Company, JazzAntiqua, along with Donna Sternberg & Dancers perform in TRANSIT DANCES. Begins at 26th St / Bergamot Metro stop. Tours begin at 12 noon and 1pm. Arpana dancers Ahila Gulasekaram, Nandini Kannan & Nikeeta Shah participate in this presentation.
Tickets: $10 advance purchase at http://transitdances.bpt.me
- June 17 & 18, Irvine: SAMARPAN, the annual recital for the students of Arpana.
At: Northwood High School, Irvine, 4pm
|June 9, 2017 New Delhi|
Yamini Reddy presents AN EVENING OF STORYTELLING through Kuchipudi dance.
Kuchipudi dance tradition is a combination of theatre (Natya Mela) and temple dance (Nattuvamela) thus making it a unique form of dance which encompasses a rich tradition of storytelling. Since Kuchipudi stems from Yakshaganas or dance dramas storytelling comes naturally to it. It is a complete form of storytelling replete with characters, narrators, episodes and dialogues, which gives it the ability to instantly absorb the audiences into its presentation.
At: the Stein auditorium Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 7pm
|June 10, 2017 Basel, Switzerland|
Sumitra Keshava, Catherine Habasque, Olivia Streater and Bettina perform the contemporary dance production ELLE combining Bharatanatyam, Ballet, Contemporary dance and Flamenco.
At: Elisabethenkirche, Basel, 7pm
|June 10 & 24, 2017 Mumbai|
Schedule of Smitalay and Jhelum Paranjape for June 2017:
-10th June: Solo performance by Jhelum Paranjape at the PANCHA TATVA FESTIVAL in honour of Pt. Birju Maharaj at S.P. Jain Auditorium, Bhavans Cultural Centre, Andheri East, Mumbai at 7pm.
-12th June onwards admissions begin for new batch (starting in July 2017) of Odissi dance.
-24th June: Solo performance by Rupali Kadam at the UTSAV 2017 Festival organized by Takshashila Dance Academy & Kalpavruksha at Marathi Sahitya Kala Mandir, Vashi at 11am.
|June 11, 2017 Liverpool, UK|
WITHIN ME~WITHOUT YOU, The Beatles Ragafest & The Indian Festival Village with
This event is part of major celebrations being held city-wide to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the release the iconic Beatles album: Sgt. Pepper & the Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Milapfest has created a magical day of music, dance, performances and a family friendly Festival VIllage with market stalls, food outlets and many special events~ (Magic Shows by the Internationally renowned magician Bharat Patel, dance performances, yoga and meditation workshops, market stalls with exciting products and mouth watering food stalls).
At the Beatles Ragafest, Milapfest explores and rekindles the amazing creative and spiritual connection between the Beatles music and India, with a fun filled family friendly festival village and four specially curated music concerts with themed Indian Food.
At: St Georges Hall in the City Centre, Liverpool
For more info: https://www.sgtpepperat50.com /events/thebeatlesragafestandf estivalvillage/
Tickets: https://www. ticketquarter.co.uk/Online/ milap
|June 11, 2017 Santa Clara, CA|
CHINTAYE HARIHARAM, a Bharatanatyam dance drama with concept by Guru Rhadha, in a margam format extolls the virtues of Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva, with the central piece being the Dasavathara Varnam.
Dancers: Sangita Vasudevan, Jyotsna Vaideeswaran, Samyuktha Narayan, Ganesh Vasudeva, Priya Ramadoss, Kavita Thirumalai and Surabhi Bharadwaj
Orchestra: Vocal - Subhapriya Srivatsan, violin - Keshavan Srivatsan, mridangam - Ravindra Bharathy Sridharan, nattuvangam - Chethana Sastry, veena - Sriram Ravichandran
At: Mission Center for Performing Arts, 3250 Monroe St, Santa Clara, CA 95051, 4pm
|June 11, 2017 NYC|
Jiva presents VIDYANJALI 2017, an offering of dance featuring the students of Jiva Performing Arts accompanied by a live Carnatic orchestra - Sonali Skandan on nattuvangam, Shiv Subramanian on vocals, Bala Skandan on mridangam, Anu-Shree Rajagopal on violin.
At: Dixon Place | 161 Chrystie St, New York, NY 10002, 5pm
|June 16, 2017 Kingston, UK|
Urja Desai Thakore is one of the seven choreographers to showcase her new work titled ‘Unbearable Intolerance of Being’ for IGNITION DANCE FESTIVAL 2017. Produced by DanceWest and supported by Royal Borough of Kingston and Arts Council England, it is a unique platform to nurture and present choreographers with exciting ideas.
At: Rose Theatre Kingston, 24-26 High Street, Kingston KT1 1HL, 7.30pm
|June 18, 2017 Palo Alto, CA |
Guru Shradha & Guru Sujata Mohapatra, present BALYA LEELA dance ballet & traditional pieces in Odissi.
At: Schultz Cultural Arts Hall, 3921 Fabian Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303, 4:30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / http://kksfestival2017.eventbrite.com
|June 18, 2017 NYC|
Navatman Student Showcase: TALES OF AKBAR AND BIRBAL
At: Tribeca Performing Arts Center, 4pm
|June 24, 2017 Bangalore|
Shivapriya School of Dance presents a mega dance drama RAJA SIMHA: The jungle beckons you…inspired by the Broadway show of The Lion King, as part of NRITHYANTHARA, their annual dance festival. Choreographed by Dr.Sanjay Shantaram.
At: Chowdaiah Memorial Hall, Malleshwaram, 6pm
For ticket info: Nikhila - 9008373168 / Shivani - 99454 87540
|June 24 - 27, 2017 Latvia|
FESTIVAL IN LATVIA - International dance festival in Jurmala resort town located on the Baltic Sea near Riga, features all dance styles.
|June 28 - July 3, 2017 Iowa |
Dakshina will host a residential dance intensive at the scenic Grinnell College campus in Iowa. The classes will be led by legendary dancers Leela Samson, Madhavi Mudgal, and Rama Vaidyanathan. The intensive is recommended for advanced dancers who can work in a fast pace. The dancers will learn yoga, Bharatanatyam, Odissi (technique and dances), and choreography. After learning the solo dances, the participants will work with the guest teachers on adapting a solo item into a group format. Students will perform the group choreography on the last evening of the intensive.
Info: email@example.com / 202.656.5679