Health Recipes 10: Roasted Tomato and Capsicum Soup
- Uma Pushpanathan
February 27, 2017
Per serving: 418kJ
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
350 gms capsicum - cut in quarter, remove the seeds and pith
600 gms tomatoes - cut into half
1 large red onion - cut coarsely
5 pips garlic - pounded coarsely
3 red chillies - sliced coarsely
150 ml Peanut oil
150ml Vegetable Stock
To taste - Salt and black pepper powder
A sprig of mint
1. Oil a baking tray and place the capsicum skin side up and the tomatoes skin side down.
2. Place it in a heated oven till the skin of the capsicum cracks and the tomatoes become soft.
3. Remove from the oven and transfer into a bowl and cover with cling wrap for 5 minutes.
4. When they are easy to mange, remove the skin of both the tomatoes and capsicum and transfer back to bowl and cover with cling wrap.
5. Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the onions, garlic and chillies, till they are soft.
6. Then add in the tomato and capsicum and cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Followed by water and the vegetable stock.
8. When the liquid begins to boil, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for further 10 minutes.
9. Let the soup cool, blend the mixture till fine.
10. Set aside and when ready to eat, reheat the soup and garnish with a sprig of mint.
** This soup is suitable to freeze
Recipe from the kitchen of Uma Pushpanathan
Uma Pushpanathan is a global gourmand and arts enthusiast. Based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Uma fuses her South and South East Asian heritage into noteworthy efforts in the field of arts, philanthropy, old age issues and food. A renowned cook and hostess, Uma's kitchen is a reflection of her voracious mind and inherent curiosity about world culture through cuisine.
Post your comments
Unless you wish to remain anonymous, please provide your name and email id when you use the Anonymous profile in the blog to post a comment. All appropriate comments posted with name & email id in the blog will also be featured in the site.