Health Recipes 14: Sweet Potato Soup
- Uma Pushpanathan
August 10, 2017
Per Serving: 900 kJ
Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
I tbsp coconut oil
4 medium sized shallots - sliced
250 grams sweet potato - cut into big cubes
1 tsp fenugreek powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp coconut cream
20 black peppercorns - crushed coarse
Slivers of red chillies
Toasted pine nuts
- heat the oil in a pan.
- When oil is hot, add in the sliced shallots.
- When shallots have changed colour, add in the sweet potato and let it be coated well with coconut oil.
- Now add in the water and allow the water to simmer.
- Then add in the dried thyme and reduce the fire.
- After two minutes add in the fenugreek powder
- Increase the heat to medium and let the sweet potato cook until it is soft.
- Now add in the coconut cream and stir the cream until it dissolves into the soup.
- Reduce the fire.
- Add salt and crushed peppercorns.
- Increase the heat and when bubbles start to form at the sides of the saucepan turn off the heat .
- Pour into individual bowls, garnish and serve.
Coconut cream: 1 part young coconut water to 4 parts of flesh of young coconut and blend them together. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. The coconut cream can be used as an alternative for regular cream.
Recipe from the kitchen of Uma Pushpanathan
Uma Pushpanathan is a global gourmand and arts enthusiast. Based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Uma fuses her South and South East Asian heritage into noteworthy efforts in the field of arts, philanthropy, old age issues and food. A renowned cook and hostess, Uma's kitchen is a reflection of her voracious mind and inherent curiosity about world culture through cuisine.
Post your comments
Unless you wish to remain anonymous, please provide your name and email id when you use the Anonymous profile in the blog to post a comment. All appropriate comments posted with name & email id in the blog will also be featured in the site.