Beyond Boundaries: Dance Symposium
July 24 - 26, 2015 Mississauga, Ontario
June 3, 2015
In celebration of its 25th Anniversary, SAMPRADAYA DANCE CREATIONS is organizing a three-day dance symposium in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada from July 24-26, 2015.
This landmark project will focus on the emergence of new and unique ways of imagining the futures of new generation artists working in South Asian dance across Canada towards self-directed careers as they plan their place in the mainstream dance milieu.
Beyond Boundaries: Imagining New Futures for South Asian Dance in Canada will address the needs and challenges of the South Asian dance ecology, understood in its wider context of ‘the artist in society’ and how it relates its multiple stakeholders. It will provide voice for practitioners who have remained off the radar of ‘mainstream dance’ and have faced systemic barriers in accessing support and opportunities. Our focus will be directed towards new generation and emerging professional artists and provide a forum for networking, professional development and engaging with their communities.
This three-day event will include the following:
• panel sessions and workshops, dance film screenings
• a showcase featuring emerging and mid-career artists
• a performance by international soloist Malavika Sarukkai
• a performance by Sampradaya Dance Creations
Daily Programming: Sampradaya Theatre, Mississauga, ON
July 25 and July 26: 9am to 5pm
Registration is a must. Space is limited. Cost: $20 per day – includes light lunch
July 24: Official welcome and emerging artist showcase at Meadowvale Theatre. Admission is free.
Ticketed Performances - Meadowvale Theatre, Mississauga, ON
July 25 - Malavika Sarukkai
July 26 - Sampradaya Dance Creations
Tickets: $30, adults tickets, $20 for students and seniors
Discount for symposium attendees:
Both performances $50 (adult tickets), $35 (students/seniors)
For those from out of town/province who would like to attend, a group rate is available at a local hotel. However, the deadline to book is June 23, 2015.
Friday July 24, 2015 - Day One - Meadowvale Theatre, 6pm - 9pm
• 6 - 6:45pm: Welcome reception to all speakers, participants, etc
• 7 - 9pm: Welcome by Lata Pada and honouring of Guru Kalyanasundaram. Showcase performance by new generation artists will feature a range of classical dance compositions by emerging dancers from across Canada.
Saturday July 25, 2015 - Day Two - Sampradaya Dance Centre, 9am- 5pm
• 9:30am - 10am: Keynote speech by Chitra Sundaram (London, England)
• 10am - 11:15am: Screening of film on Raja Rajeshwari Bharata Natya Kala Mandir, India
• 11.15am - 11.30am: Coffe break
• 11:30am - 1pm: Panel Discussion - DANCE IN THE DIASPORA - Transmissions and translocations – Pedagogical approaches to Bharatanatyam
• 1pm-2pm: Lunch
• 2 - 4pm: Workshop on Bharatanatyam – New impulses for contemporary movement
• 4 - 5pm: Workshop Navigating the field- what it takes to build a professional career in dance
• 7pm - 9pm: Performance - GANGA NITYA VAHINI – The Eternal River by Bharatanatyam soloist Malavika Sarukkai (Chennai, India) - Meadowvale Theatre
Sunday July 26, 2015 - Day Three - Sampradaya Dance Centre – 9am-1pm
• 9 - 10am: Screening of ‘Unseen Sequence’ – Dance film on Malavika Sarukkai
• 10 - 11:30am: Panel Discussion - DANCE IN THE DIASPORA – Dancing on our terms
• 11:30 -11:45am: coffee break
• 11:45 12:30pm: Break out session - Imagining a new future for South Asian Dance in Canada
• 12:30 - 1pm: Summing up of panel discussions and break out sessions
• 1pm - 2pm: lunch
• 4 pm - 6pm: PARAMPARA - Sampradaya Dance Creations dance performance at Meadowvale Theatre with live music
* Subject to change.