NARTHAKI MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
Refresh / reload to view the latest newsletter in the site
| ANITA SAYS.....
December 1, 2018
Creativity is not a will-o-the-wisp muse that visits erratically
Instead, Inspiration is a flower that requires pruning, tending, affection...
- American dance critic Erin Bomboy
Nambi temple, Tirukurungudi
I started writing this month's musings from the calm environs of my
ancestral home in the small village of Tirukurungudi, deep into the
heart of Tamilnadu. When softened by the clean air, misty mountains and
gorgeous architecture, it is easy to smile at the world. And perhaps I
too need to smile, after a month of furious accusations, historic bans
and the Carnatic music/dance world aflame with sexual accusations and
I needed to exhale and the NAMBI Temple deep in the heart of Tamilnadu provided the perfect setting.
| ROVING EYE: A
section of impressions, images and
Curated by Anita Ratnam
- Mylapore Fine Arts presents NRITHYA KALA NIPUNA to Bharatanatyam dancer Urmila Sathyanarayanan, on Dec 9, 2018 at Chennai.
- Krishna Gana Sabha presents NRITYA CHOODAMANI to Vyjayanthi Kashi
(Kuchipudi) and ACHARYA CHOODAMANI to Guru Sadanam Balakrishnan
(Kathakali) on Dec 13, 2018 at Chennai.
- The Indian Fine Arts Society presents Guru T.K. Kalyanasundaram with the title NATYA KALASIKHAMANI on Dec 16, 2018, Chennai.
On Dec 21, 2018 Kartik Fine Arts presents MADURA KALA MANI AWARD to
Srekala Bharath, NRITHYA PEROLI title on Alarmel Valli, NRITYAJYOTI
AWARD of Excellence in Bharatanatyam to Priya Dixit, NATYA CHUDAR title
on Akhila Balasubramaniam, at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Hall, Chennai.
- Mohiniattam exponent Dr. Kanak Rele, founder-principal of Nalanda
Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya in Mumbai, has been selected for the first
GURU GOPINATH NATIONAL NATYA PURASKAR by Natanagramam to honour the
lifetime achievements of eminent exponents of Indian dance forms. The
award carries a purse of Rs. 3 lakhs, a statuette designed by sculptor
Kanayi Kunhiraman and citation.
- Madhu Nataraj has been chosen by Anata Aspen centre to be mentored
under the aegis of the KAMALNAYAN BAJAJ FELLOWSHIP. The Bajaj Fellowship
mobilizes a new class of leaders to find solutions to the nation's most
challenging issues and make a sustained impact. All are proven leaders
between 35-45 with diverse experience. Each Fellow launches a social
venture that will stretch them to make a positive impact on their
communities, society and the nation.
- Natya Dance Theatre is a 2018 recipient of the MacArthur International
Connections Fund Award. With the support of the MacArthur Foundation,
Natya's Artistic Director, Hema Rajagopalan will be collaborating with
renowned contemporary dancer, Astad Deboo to develop and perform a new
theatrical dance work INAI (Connections) to premiere in Chennai, India
and Chicago, IL. The work will explore diverse universal connections,
and be accompanied by eminent musicians from India.
- Nalanda Dance Research Centre presented NALANDA KANAKA NARTANA PURASKAR to
Dr.Sunanda Nair, Dr.Uma Rele and Deepak Mazumdar for 2017 and Jhelum
Paranjape (Odissi), Shila Mehta (Kathak), C Gopalakrishnan (Kathakali)
and Dr. Ambika Viswanath (BN) for 2018, on November 24 & 25, 2018 at
|- The Attendance annual awards were given on November 25, 2018 at ADA Rangamandira, Bangalore.
RAM GOPAL BEST MALE DANCER AWARD to Parshwanath Upadhye, MOHAN KHOKAR
DANCE ACADEMICS AWARD to Dr.B.M. Sundaram, UDAY SHANKAR CHOREOGRAPHY
AWARD to Daksha Sheth, RUKMINI DEVI SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION TO BN AWARD
to Sucheta Chapekar, MAYA RAO LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD to Dr.Sonal
- Dubai based Kalalaya and Kerala based
Naadam jointly honoured The Dhananjayans with NATANA KULAPATHI PURASKAR
on 17th November 2018 during the Nritya-Kalaa-Keli festival at the New
World Private School Auditorium, Dubai.
- Parvathi Ravi Ghantasala was conferred with NRITYA RATNA award by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore, on 26th October 2018.
- On 13 October 2018, Kuchipudi Guru Jayarama Rao was honoured with
GURU GANGADHAR PRADHAN AWARD by Guru Bimbadhar Das, at Delhi.
- Classical dancer Vyshnavie Sainath Yagnesh, daughter and disciple of
Rajeswari Sainath, was conferred with the award of JASHN-E-YOUNGISTHAN
(the Young India-New India- Future India) by the Vice President of
India, Venkaiah Naidu, on 24 November 2018 at New Delhi along with the
other achievers in their respective fields.
- On December 3, 2018, Malavika Sarukkai receives NAATYA PADHMAM from
Brahma Gana Sabha at Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium, Chennai.
- On Dec 9, 2018 Bharatanatyam guru Anitha Guha receives VANI KALA SUDHAKARA from Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha in Chennai.
- NARTHAKI extends best wishes to Dr. RASHMI PARTHASARTHY, Educationist
and Cultural Director, on her 93rd birthday that she celebrated on Nov
- Sunatya Academy presents
Nirmiti - III
Dec 2, 2018 Bangalore
- Kartik Fine Arts presents
Natya Darshan 2018
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai
Dec 15 - 23, 208 Chennai
Kathakali thespian Parassini Kunhiraman Nair (born May 3, 1933) passed
away on November 13, 2018. He was 85. He was a popular Kathakali artist
of Kadathanatan style of Kathakali, who performed different characters
on many stages all over the country and at various prestigious temples
in Kerala receiving critical acclaim for his work both in Kathi and
Vellathadi veshams. He was the lead artist in Parassinikkadavu Muthappan
Kathakali Yogam. He taught at Taliparamba Kathakali Sangham for a long
time. He received Central Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2015) at the fag
end of his life.
Guru Banamali Maharana, known as the 'father of Odissi mardala,' passed
away on November 17, 2018 at Bhubaneswar. He was 77. Starting his
career as a theatre artiste, Banamali Maharana partnered with Odissi
maestro Kelucharan Mohapatra and his disciples, traveling the globe. He
founded the Mardala Academy and worked hard to promote mardala from just
an accompanying instrument to an independent solo instrument. The
academy presents the Tala Vadya Utsav annually from 2002 to give the
mardala its due. He was honoured with Upendra Bhanja Samman (2016),
Odissi Nrutya Samman (for 2015-16), Sanjukta Panigrahi National
Award (2005), Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Odissi Music (2004) and
Gandharba Kala Samman.
- Guru Banamali Maharana and Odissi music-Inseparable by Ratikant Mohapatra
Guru Banamali Maharana was the younger cousin of Guru Kelucharan
Mohapatra and as my uncle, a father figure to me. Born on May 16, 1941
in the famous artistes' village of Raghurajpur in Puri district, Banu
Dada was responsible for developing the grammar and codification of the
UPDATE IN THE SITE
|THE EASTERN EYE: Column by Dr.Utpal K Banerjee
- When Kerala connected Kolkata
The recent happenings with Mohiniattam and Kathakali were like a breath
of fresh air in the city. While the performances in the first case were
in keeping with the complete rigor of music and costume, in the second
instance they were sans the traditional attires.
- The political spectra
Sonai Bibi presented on September 30 by Rongroop in Kolkata, used this
historical scenario as its overall backdrop. The story, originally
penned by the iconic litterateur Sunil Gangopadhyay, was dramatized by
- Delving tradition, deconstructing Ramayana
Ekatra (Togetherness) was Shashwati Garai Ghosh's own ensemble of dances
executed by her well-trained students that explored new dimensions of
colours and vibrations, and was quite an honest effort to carry on the
legacy passed down to the new generation of gurus.
FOOTLOOSE AND FANCY FREE with Dr. Sunil Kothari
- Nakshatra Dance Festival
The Nakshatra Dance Festival of NCPA (October 12 - 14, 2018) originated
in 2009, and is held every October to feature innovative group
- Rangayan Festival of Art and Literature 2018
Recognizing that there is inter-connection between the visual, scribal
and performing arts, with the collaboration of Asom Sahitya Sabha,
Sahitya Akademi, and Guwahati Artists' Guild, the inaugural edition of
RALF (Rangayan Art Literature Festival) was launched.
| TAALAM: Column by Leela Venkataraman
- Impressive Sattriya dance drama captures life of Sankaradeva
Developed as part of a Production Oriented Workshop for the Sattriya
training classes held in the University, the choice of a dance drama on
the life of the founder of Sattriya - the religious teacher who
compounded in his person the talents of artist, poet and dramatist - was
- Nityananda: The one-legged miracle dancer
That no hurdle barring ultimate death can hold back the determined
dancer can be seen from the life of Nityananda Das. At the Guru Kripa
two-day program at the Satya Sai Auditorium in Delhi, the real and the
virtual came together with both Guru Bimbadhar Das and Nityananda
dancing their own lived stories, filling the respective role each has
- Inclusive Debadhara
Bharat Utsav, as the two-day festival of Debadhara Delhi was titled,
showed up the inclusive nature of the organization started in the name
of late Odissi Guru Debaprasad Das - with half hour slots of Odissi,
Bharatanatyam, Kathak and Mohiniattam being sponsored by them at the IIC
ROSES & THORNS
- TMK - Off Key
The unstoppable shenanigans of Carnatic musician TM Krishna continues.
Grabbing the spotlight at every available opportunity, he has once again
used his opponents to turn the spotlight on himself in New Delhi. A
recently cancelled concert in the park alongside dancers Sonal Mansingh
and Priyadarsini Govind, resulted in the AAP government and his
supporters organizing another show at THE GARDEN OF FIVE SENSES.
Read the media exchange that followed the original show cancellation
|Meet the artistes ||SANCHARI.. More on the arts ||Articles
Dec 1, Pune
Yogini Gandhi participates in an intimate and informal Baithak as part
of the Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Festival. The program will include an
interview about her journey in dance along with a short performance.
At: Vishnu Vinayak Swaramandir, 6pm
Dec 1 - 24, Aurangabad
Schedule for Mahagami and Parwati Dutta.
- 1 & 2 Dec:Aura Aurangabad concerts at Mahagami Gurukul, 7-8pm.
- 8 & 9 Dec: Aura Aurangabad concerts at Mahagami Gurukul, 7-8pm
- 15 &16 Dec:VAYAM, 2nd Edition showcasing Kathak & Odissi
performances by Mahagami disciples (past & present) and solo Kathak
& Odissi by Parwati Dutta
Guest dancers - Sudha Mukhopadhyay & Mamta Maharaj, at Mahagami
- 17 Dec: Kathak workshop by Mamta Maharaj at Mahagami
- 22 to 24 Dec: Workshop on Dhrupadaangi Kathak by Parwati Dutta, full-day residential.
Dec 1 - 29, Hyderabad, Gujarat
- Dec 1: Murali Mohan & Nandini Mehta perform Kathak for KALA SAMARPAN, organized by Tatvamasi Centre for Performing Arts.
Venue: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Himayatnagar, Hyderabad, 6:30pm.
- Dec 23 - 28: Murali Mohan and Nandini Mehta conduct a 6-day KATHAK WORKSHOP. at Kalakshetra, Bhavnagar, Gujarat
- Dec 29: NADAM & Kalakshetra organize the 3RD GURU DHARAMSHI SHAH
UTSAV featuring 'Bhakthi Manjari' by Nrityanjali group
Guru Meena Telikicherla, and Kathak by NADAM ensemble and Kalakshetra
Venue: Baal Pamrat, Dakshina Murthy Baal Mandir, Bhavnagar, 8pm
Dec 2, Mumbai
NRITYA DHAARA is a showcase of Guru Maneesha Sathe (the torchbearer of
Natraj Gopi Krishna shaili of Kathak), daughter Shambhavi,
daughter-in-law Tejaswini and grand daughter Sarveshwari, three
generations of one family.
At: Ravindra Natya Mandir, 10.30am to 1.30pm
Dec 2 & 9, Tirupathi & Kolkata
Suman Sarawgi with her troupe Sparsh performs Manipuri dance in Tirupati
on 2nd Dec and her production EHUN at the Uday Shankar Festival in
Kolkata on Dec 9th.
Dec 2 - 31, Bhopal, Mumbai, Kerala, Karnataka
Schedule for Vyjayanthi Kashi & Shambhavi Dance Ensemble.
- 2nd Dec: PARAMA PURUSHA at Madhya Pradesh Sangrahlay, Bhopal, 6:30pm
- 15th Dec: Vyjayanthi Kashi talks on 'Burning soul of the dancer in the real world'
At: Maxis-Taj Airport Hotel, Mumbai, 11am
- 23rd Dec: NRITYA NAMANA at Kundapura, 8pm
- 23rd Dec: Prateeksha Kashi presents KUCHIPUDI VAIBHAVAM at Palakkad, Kerala, 6:30pm
- 24th Dec: Vyjayanthi Kashi presents a solo Kuchipudi recital as part
of Krishna Gana Sabha's 63rd Art & Pongal Dance Festival, Chennai,
- 31st Dec: Shambhavi Dance Ensemble presents RUDRAMA DEVI.
At: Chowdiah Memorial Hall, Bengaluru, 8pm - 8:30pm
Dec 7, Bangalore
Gurus Kiran Subramanyam and Sandhya Kiran present the Rasika Dance
Ensemble in a Bharatanatyam recital for the NRUTYANKURA FESTIVAL
organised by Nrutyankura Foundation.
At: Sevasadan, Malleswaram, 5.30pm
Dec 7, Mumbai
NCPA Little Theatre, Mumbai, presents Rajika Puri, dancer, storyteller
in a slide Lecture performance:"Singing the texts, Dancing the verses,
Bringing paintings to life". Paintings from the Metropolitan Museum's
Rajpur show of 2016.
At: Little Theatre, 6.30pm
Dec 7, 30 & 31, Bangalore, Chennai, Kerala
Schedule for Madhu Nataraj & Stem Dance Kampni
- 7th Dec, Bangalore: The Kampni conducts a lec-dem on the 'Evolution of
Indian Dance Heritage' for a multi-national delegation, Seva Sadan
- 30th Dec, Chennai: Madhu Nataraj presents a lec-dem on "Bhaav in Kathak- History Reimagined" at the Natya Kala Conference.
- 31st Dec, Kovalam, Kerala: Site specific choreography at theTaj Kovalam
Dec 8, Mumbai
Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Byculla, Mumbai, presents Rajika Puri in a slide
lecture performance: 'Singing the Ragas, Telling the stories: Behind
Bhau Daji Lad Museum paintings,' at 5:30pm.
Dec 8 - 22, Thane, Pune, Bhubaneswar
Schedule for Uma Dogra and disciples.
- Dec 8, Thane: 'BHAVANJALI', 70th Birth Anniversary celebration of Pt.
Durgalal featuring student of Uma Dogra school of Kathak, Swarada
Bhave - BN, Rahul Acharaya - Odissi
Venue: Kashighanekar Mini Hall, Thane, 4.30pm
- Dec 16, Bhubaneswar: Kathak solo by Uma Dogra, for Bharat Muni Festival, organised by Kalingayana Touryatrikam
Venue: Rabindra Mandap, 6.30pm
- Dec 22, Pune: Kathak workshop by Uma Dogra
- Dec 23, Pune: Film screening of NIRVANA THROUGH DANCE, a film on Pt. Durgalal.
Dec 9 - 23, Mumbai
Schedule of Smitalay and Jhelum Paranjape for Dec 2018.
- 9th Dec: Solo Odissi performance by Jhelum Paranjape for Sangeet Samaagam Trust Festival at Bhavans, Andheri, 7pm.
- 21st Dec: NCPA's Umang presents promising artistes Sukanya Kumar (BN)
& Rupali Kadam (Odissi, student of Smitalay) at Little Theatre,
- 23rd Dec: Performance by Smitalay for Golden Jubilee Celebrations of
Ramakrishna Sharada Samiti at St. Andrews Auditorium, 5pm.
Dec 14 - 31, London, Chennai, Delhi, Vijayawada
Schedule for Bala Devi Chandrasekhar
-14 Dec: Lecture and performance-Margi Tradition of Natya Shastra, Nehru Center, London
-19 Dec: BRIHADEESWARA: FORM TO FORMLESS - Bhavan, Kilpauk, Chennai, 7pm
- 20 Dec: KARNA: DESTINY'S CHILD - India International Center, Delhi, 7pm
- 22 Dec: Brihadeeswara: Form to Formless- Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai, 7pm
- 29 Dec: Karna: Destiny's Child - Vijayawada Music and Dance College, 6pm
- 31 Dec: Brihadeeswara: Form to Formless- Kartik Fine Arts, Chennai, 5pm
Dec 15, Bangalore
Shoonya Art Space/Lshva present Rajika Puri in a Slide Lecture with
Ballet mime demos on the 1877 ballet LA BAYADERE or "˜The Temple
Dancer" which she worked on a reconstruction in Berlin this October, at
Dec 28, Mumbai
Abhinava Dance Company presents RASALILA for the Bhagawat Saptah, 6.30pm