Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, the oldest sabha in Chennai, was first established
by Mani Thirumalachariar in 1896 at his residence near the tank opposite
Sri Parthasarathy Swami temple. The sabha was first named Sangitha Vidwat
Sabha. Regular monthly performances were organized in the sabha by then
eminent artistes for a select gathering of rasikas. The sabha was formed
to present not only music, but also Harikathas, dances, dramas and lectures.
Subscriptions were not collected then and remuneration for the artistes
was paid by friends and music supporters. As the activities of the sabha
increased, it was made a public body registered as Sri Parthasarathy Swami
Sabha in 1901.
('Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha' - The New Sunday Express, Dec 4, 2005)
Krishna Gana Sabha (Chennai) was formed in 1954 at an auditorium on the
premises of the Hindi Prachar Sabha, with Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer
as its first president and Santhanam its secretary. Yagnaraman was appointed
as a committee member. In 1957, Yagnaraman was offered the post of joint
secretary and in 1958, he rose to become the general secretary, a position
he has held ever since.
('Sri Krishna Gana Sabha' - The New Sunday Express, Dec 4, 2005)
chakyar was licensed to mock. If anyone protested, he would remove his
headgear and the performance was over. Even rulers and VIPs were not spared
and had to listen, silent and red faced.
(Shreekumar Varma in 'Warriors of Wit,' The New Sunday Express, Feb 26, 2006)